About Gel Scramble
Gel Scramble is an instructional tool for teaching molecular neurobiology that requires only a computer. Gel Scramble is available for free, along with student and instructor tutorials.
Read the latest draft of the article about using the Gel Scramble module as an electronic neuroscience teaching tool:
Download Gel Scramble Files
Students and Faculty can download the Gel Scramble Image Database and Gel Scramble Tutorials for free.
Download the image database now:
- Gel Scramble Image Database UPDATED on 10-26-11 at 2:03pm
(2) Take the Student Pre-Test: If you are a student and are about to begin the Gel Scramble module, please take our Pre-Test [NOTE: this will NOT affect your grade]. We are asking you to participate in a study on the efficacy of the teaching module delivered by your instructor. This study will help us to revise this teaching module to make it more effective and to develop new modules in the future so that they are educationally effective, are easy to understand, and successfully meet student needs. Not only will your participation help us make better teaching modules, but your participation may also help your understanding of the material (again, this will not figure into your grade).
--> We ask that you take a short Pre-Test BEFORE the material is presented and also take an idential Post-Test AFTER the module has ended. These little quizzes will help us gauge your gains from this module. The quiz can be taken over the web and should take about 10 minutes. When you take the tests online, please use the SAME, real email address each time, as we will need them for tracking data.
--> Since we are going to ask you to take the quiz as well as fill out an opinion questionnaire after the unit is completed, we request that you give us your email address so that we can send you one, and ONLY one, reminder email. We will NOT be sending you any further emails, nor will we submit your email address to any outside sources. Note: providing you email address is voluntary, as is your participation in this study (see below).
--> Participation in this study is completely voluntary. You are not required to participate to receive or use the materials included in this module.
--> First download the Questions (PDF) then input your answers into the Answer Form (electronic).
(4) Download the Gel Scramble Restriction Endonuclease Digest Protocols:
- Mystery cDNA 'A' Digestion Protocol (.pdf)
- Mystery cDNA 'B' Digestion Protocol (.pdf)
- Mystery cDNA 'C' Digest Protocol (.pdf)
- Mystery cDNA 'D' Digestion Protocol (.pdf)
- Mystery cDNA 'E' Digestion Protocol (.pdf)
- Mystery cDNA 'F' Digestion Protocol (.pdf)
(5) Download the Gel Scramble Polymerase Chain Reaction Protocols:
(6) Download the Gel Scramble Mystery cDNA Sequences:
- Mystery cDNA 'A' Sequence (.pdf)
- Mystery cDNA 'B' Sequence (.pdf)
- Mystery cDNA 'C' Sequence (.pdf)
- Mystery cDNA 'D' Sequence (.pdf)
- Mystery cDNA 'E' Sequence (.pdf)
- Mystery cDNA 'F' Sequence (.pdf)
(7) Download the Mystery cDNA References: This includes Mystery cDNA Information (cDNA description, accession numbers, and primer sequences) and Mystery cDNA Plasmid Schematics.
(9) Fill out the Student Materials Evaluation: If you are a student and have completed the Gel Scramble module, please provide us with basic feedback on the materials used in this module by filling out the multiple choice Materials Evaluation.
- Student Materials Evaluation
Faculty members interested in accessing faculty-related materials will need to obtain an account. Please see the Faculty Web Page for more information:
Faculty members that already have an account may log in and go directly to the Faculty Gel Scramble Web Page:
- Mystery cDNA Student Assignment Key
- Mystery cDNA PCR Product Key
If you are a faculty member that has individually completed or taught the Gel Scramble Module, please provide us with basic feedback on the materials used in this module by filling out the multiple choice Faculty Materials Evaluation:
- Faculty Materials Evaluation
Gel Scramble FAQ
firstname.lastname@example.org (put "Gel Scramble Question" in the subject line)
Modular Digital Course in Undergraduate Neuroscience Education—Revised: Gel Scramble by Dr. William Grisham, Ph.D., is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.